5 Things This Summer Has Taught Me
July 25, 2013
So as I have previously stated, this has been the first summer that I haven’t lived at home. I am living in a house, being all working young-adult, and it has been a great experience. Being alone has given me a lot of time to think and reflect on life. So I thought I would compile a list of the most important things I have learned from this summer of self-discovery…
1) No matter how adult you may be, one of the best feelings in the world is having your mom around when you are sick.
-To my advantage, when I went home for a few weeks of vacation time, a death virus hit me, and it hit me HARD. Luckily though, I was home with my mama. Now I am self-sufficient, but there is something so soothing about being around my mom when I don’t feel good. So, thanks madre (and FYI, you must always live near me so someone will bring me soup when I am ill).
2) Crushes are fun but be wary.
- There is nothing wrong with having excitement over a new person you can text or snapchat but guard your heart. 99.9% of the time, I have lusted over guys who end up being tools. I guess what I am saying is, don’t let these infatuations consume your thoughts. It is not worth it. You are incredible as is and if that person wants you in their life, they WILL make it happen. If not, listen to a sad song, cry, brush it off, and move on. Have faith in God that there is someone so much better for you ahead. If not, there is this thing called a pet. Or food. Both suffice.
3) Be appreciative.
-Every day I read something and it puts my life into perspective. If you have shelter, education, health and food, you are so GOLDEN. Remember that.
4) You can’t force butterflies.
-I went on a date and felt like such a dick because the guy was so nice, but I just didn’t get that nervous, excited feeling. I went back and forth, wondering if I should give it another try, but ultimately trusted my gut and declined. Does that make me shallow? No. The romantic connection was not there, and if I am going to risk my heart, I deserve those fireworks. And he deserves to have somebody that gets those fireworks.
5) Do what is right for you.
-I have been blessed with the most amazing friends and anytime I am feeling insecure and having a breakdown, you know what they all tell me? Who cares what others think!? The only way to really, truly be happy is to be you and fuck everyone else’s opinions. Oh, it isn’t cool by society’s standards to love cats. SCREW OFF. I am obsessed with my kittens. They make me happy. Oh, it isn’t cool to be a girl and cuss? Get over it. At least I am not doing crack/cocaine. Bottom line: there is only one you in this world, so flaunt it. You aren’t going to reach your full potential by trying to emulate someone else.